07 November 2006

Weekly roundup

Just wanted to announce the arrival in London of Mr Andy Jenkins and his lovely wife, Megan! As you may or may not know, Andy is one of my film collaborators from New Zealand (A Fishy Tale, The House of Raging Women) and I am, of course, very excited to have him here. We’ve already started talking in conspiratorial whispers about doing a project together… watch this space!

In other news, my law buddy Mark Tan invited me to the Slaughter & May annual dinner with him. After meeting for a quick beer, we made our formal entrance (one of the only times I’ll be seen in a suit and tie this year) at the Grosvenor House Hotel - one of the largest and most famous luxury hotels in London (on Park Lane in Mayfair, no less).

S&M had rented out the Great Room and Ballroom, “the venue of many prominent awards evenings, charity balls and the like … often seen on British television, and … one of the largest ballrooms in Europe”. (It’s mentioned in a Doctor Who novel, so that’s good enough for me.)

We had a good time, making the most of the open bar, and having the waiters fetch us beer. I somehow ended up with a Grosvenor Hotel bottle opener. Thanks Mark!

No comments: