30 November 2006

TOOL at the Wembley Arena

Good evening! I have good news and bad news. I'll start with the good news. Good news is: Danny Carey, Maynard Keenan - Irish. Adam Jones - Welsh. And Justin Chancellor - English. And the bad news is: there is no bad news. - Maynard
Went to my first Tool gig with good ol' James Chapman. After getting some food, and buying a t-shirt and packet of Maltesers, we went and took our seat in the nosebleeds. (The standing tickets sold out fast...)

All in all it was a pretty good gig - standouts for me were Stinkfist, Jambi, Schism and Vicarious. In fact, Jambi surprised me - it was a hell of a lot better live than it is on the album. To be honest though, the rest of the set kind of bored me a little bit. I appreciate Tool's prog-rock angle, but the long, slow numbers really dragged - especially after the weird 15 minute candle-holding intermission. Eek. At least there was a helluva groovy laser show. Nevermind, bigger Tool fans than me seemed to enjoy it!

Also, Maynard stood at the back of the stage the whole gig. What's with that? Must've been disappointing for the devout fans getting squished up at the barrier.

Setlist: Stinkfist / Swamp Song / Jambi / Schism / Lost Keys / Rosetta Stoned / The Pot / Wings For Marie / 10,000 Days / Lateralus / Vicarious / Ænema

No comments: