07 November 2006

Cat Power and the Memphis Rhythm Band


I went, by my lonesome, to see Cat Power (Chan-pronounced-Shawn Marshall) at The Roundhouse on Nov 1. It was a terrific gig for a number of reasons. It was a) close to home (Chalk Farm), b) a famous venue and c) a terrific performance.

The Memphis Rhythm Band opened with a lengthy jam, before being joined by Chan for a run through most of The Greatest, her most recent album. Chan then did her solo piece, making it all the way through most the songs. Hooray! I particularly enjoyed the bizarre pantomime that accompanied her performance – shadow boxing, woozy dancing (I mean, worse than Nick Cave), trapped inside an invisible box… the whole shebang.


With band: Willie Mitchell / The Greatest / Living Proof / Lived In Bars / Could We / Empty Shell / Willie / The Moon / Islands / Where Is My Love / Soul Serenade

Solo: Who knows where the time goes / I Don’t Blame You / Wild is the Wind / House of the Rising Sun / Love + Communication / Jon Jon Ramblin / Naked / Crossbones – Style - Nude As the News – (I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction / Anything But Love / Tracks Of My Tears

No comments: