29 September 2006

Weekly roundup

Just wanted to make note of a few little extras here.

First up, went to see Mogwai last Friday night at the Royal Albert Hall - thanks to James Chapman. They're a 'Scottish post-rock' group, known for lengthy (mostly) instrumental pieces, built around the elaboration of a single theme. Very hypnotic, and very loud. I wore my ear plugs (I'm so ashamed!) but I expect Emma and Jaimz would approve. Lead in band was glitch musician Kid606. All in all, a pretty swell gig. Was also nice to visit the RAH, a very impressive building from the late 1800s.

In other news, I popped over to Waterloo at lunchtime today to see the exhibit of Quentin Blake illustrations at the National Theatre. This is a collection of all the work that he did for Roald Dahl over the years (including after the death of the author). I grew up with his versions of many of Dahl's books - in particular, The Twits, The Witches and The BFG - so it was pretty cool to have the original works right in front of me. He's simply a terrific artist. Very kinetic use of inks and watercolours. I even downloaded an .mp3 interview with Quentic Blake and listened to it as an audio tour of the gallery. No postcards available (for shame!) but I did buy a mug with a picture of Mr & Mrs Twit on the front, and Mrs Twit's glass eye on the inside! Ewww.

No comments: