29 September 2006

Softdrink roundup

Imagine my surprise when Cherry Coke seemed to vanished from the UK over the last couple of months. You heard right! Despite having come all this way expecting to enjoy the bountiful softdrink supplies that the British Empire has to offer, apparently fate had it in for me. Where did all the Cherry Coke go? Once it was available in all the little dairies. Now it was nowhere to be seen - expect as 355ml 6 packs of Diet Cherry Coke (yuck!) at Sainsbury's.

My theory was that, with the triumphant launch of Coke Zero, the UK found itself unable to support surplus softdrink brands, and my beloved was the first to suffer from the over-flooded market. However, I am in luck! As the initial burst of Coke Zero enthusiasm fades, Cherry Coke seems to be making a comeback! At first it was just the weird German version with the ugly label, but now I have found a supplier of the genuine article in both cans and bottles. Hooray! Time to stockpile!

In addition, I found a import shop in Covent Garden called CyberCandy. Lo and behold, they have a collection of foreign softdrinks. I have now tried the following:
  • Cherry Pepsi (doesn't quite reach the lofty heights of Cherry Coke, but a pretty good effort)
  • Vanilla Pepsi (at least as good as the Coke version, if not better)
  • Mountain Dew: Code Red (waste of time)
  • Dr Pepper: Berries & Cream (also not fantastic, but it grows on you)
There are also quite a few fruit-flavoured ranges floating around. I bought some food at a Hare Krishna restaurant last week, with a fizzy guava drink. Yum! They have others which I will be trying. Likewise, the takeaway sandwhich franchise Pret-a-Manger have their own proprietary range which I'm happy to endorse. Try the fizzy elderflower. Mmm.

Finally, there is also a popular energy drink here called Irn-Bru ("Iron Brew") which, despite being orange, is basically a tasty caffeinated creaming soda.

From the "Softdrinks around the World" department, my friend Hugh has submitted Kickapoo Joy Juice from Malaysia. He says it's "a mix of fanta and lemonade but is really not all that sweet". Still, looks pretty good to me!

No comments: