12 September 2006

Amsterdam

Work flew me to Amsterdam on Sunday to attend the IBC2006 Exhibition, a "showcase for the latest technology and foremost business ideas in broadcasting and media". (Think Big Boys' Toys without the booth babes.) It was a looong day, starting with a 3:30am bus ride to Luton Airport and with me getting home at 12:30am the next day. I was so tired in the morning that I actually fell asleep during take-off!

The exhbition was a lot of fun though, and I spent most of the day walking around with a grin on my face. We had a booth, showing off the Codex Digital machine and how this could be supported by access to the Sohonet network. It seemed to be a big draw, and was pretty busy every time I popped in for a catch-up. We also had a 4K Dalsa camera plugged in, which was the only 4k digital camera at the show. Go us!

Other things I found interesting: Autodesk's demostrations of the Flame post-production suite (that thing is seriously badass, with the operators whipping up complicated FX in minutes), a greenscreen linked to a camera with infra-red sensors so that the background would rotate in real-time 3D to properly match the movement of the camera, Adobe training sessions (picked up a couple of new Photoshop tricks!) and Sony's HD displays and sweet HD cameras.

The highlight for me was a presentation by Aardman Animations, showing the history of their intellectual property (ie. all their old films and characters) and the changing technology they've used over the years. They also played clips from their upcoming work and did some Q&As. I also learned something interesting about the 'location' of the character in stop-mo films. Turns out Nick Park, Wallace & Gromit creator, actually does a mock film with himself performing the roles. He then schools the animators so that they can act out or perform the roles too. Then finally there are the voice actors! Curious - who is the real actor here?

Also managed to get in an hour or so in Amsterdam for dinner, and saw some interesting things that I won't mention in the same article as my job. Another time, perhaps!

NZ WATCH: I shared my flight back with a whole bunch of holidaying kiwis.

No comments: