15 September 2010

Singapore 2010 - Sunday arrival

So, starting a new job in a foreign country... how best to go about this? My approach was to leave 1 day after finishing my current job, after squeezing in my stag do and a heap of admin for our November wedding, and buying a house, arnaging finance, opening new bank accounts and generally getting all that palaver sorted. Fortunately, I at least have the good sense to arrange for a week off in Singapore before heading into the office. I think I'm going to need it to get accilmated to the heat!

We spent Sunday travelling, leaving Auckland at midday and arriving in the evening of the same day (Singapore is 4 hours behind). We didn't sleep on the plane, instead watching about 4/5 films, and seemingly eating every half hour or so. It was an easy flight, and I had no issues bringing my Pelican camera case on board the plane, and getting through baggage claims and customs.

Stepping out the front door, we were hit with that familiar pillow of dense warm air, but it wasn't long before we were in an air conditioned taxi, winging our way into the city. The apartment that I had organised (or rather, which was organised for me by my super-helpful colleague Mimi, and her family - thanks!) is actually right behind the building where I will be working. It's right in the CBD, but there is a nearby fruit market, and it is a short walk to Chinatown and lots of great sights and eateries. It's got a whopping 39 floors, and has a sprawling pool network on the 7th floor, and a gym with a sky-touching view on level 39. There are groovy amenities all over the place, and the architecture is great. The apartment is only small, but nicely appointed, and with 2 air conditioning units.

It was a slightly fraught arrival, as our agent wasn't there. The concierge was also not letting us in. Eventually he lent us a phone, and we called the agent. Thoughts about the various rental scams danced through our heads until she arrived, and let us in. Once all the paperwokr was sorted, we had a sroll around the block, and bought a few basics at a supermarket. Saw our first durians at the fruit market, and plenty of odd things on the supermarket shelves: Quail eggs, Jackie Chan-endorsed hair darkening shampoo, all sorts of unusual canned drinks, dragonfruit, green tea Haagen Dasz and piglet-shaped mooncakes.

No comments: