18 September 2010

Singapore 2010 - Friday

Yesterday we bought the "Makansutra", an indispensable guide to Singapore's cuisine. We have already tried some of the local delicacies, and could tick off a couple of the recommend places. For lunch, we aimed to knock out a couple more at the frenetic Maxwell Centre. Started with a snack of Ngoh Hiang, or Szechuan (ie. Chinese) street fritters. These were OK, but not amazing. We had better luck with our follow up, Anna trying the Prawn Mee (Hokkien noodles with prawns and chili) and my eating a yummy white 'Carrot Cake' or Chai Tow Kueh, a kind of omelette with julienned radish and rice flour.

Spent many hours wandering the endless expanse of malls and shops at Orchard Road once again, this time trying to pick some essential items such as a watch that shows two time zones (for me), a nice new belt from Massimo Dutti (one for me, one for Anna), a clothes drying stand, a computer/TV cable, singlets (me) etc. I had an appointment at Mohan's to be measured for my wedding suit. Seemed to go well, though I need to come back in a couple more times. It's a family business, and they used to make the uniforms for the NZRAF who were stationed in Singapore during the war.

Had a much needed pick me up at a little kopi tiam, or coffee shop. They do little cups of strong black coffee, but with a deliciously smooth flavour. I had mine with sweetened condensed milk, which I can see becoming a new favourite. We also tried the ice cream toast, which was like an eskimo pie, but with toast. How odd!

No comments: