04 August 2009

Sonisphere (Knebworth Park) 02/08/09


Bands:
Killing Joke
Lamb of God
Mastodon
Limp BizkitFour Losers And A Clown
Nine Inch Nails
Linkin Park
Metallica

Nine Inch Nails setlist:
The Way Out is Through
Wish
I Do Not Want This
Something I Can Never Have
Gone, Still
The Frail
The Wretched
Non-Entity
Lights In The Sky
The Downward Spiral
Hurt

So assuming Trent doesn't change his mind after a few years of chilling out with his dog and noodling about in the studio, then I was front and centre for Nine Inch Nails' last ever performance in the United Kingdom. And what an unusual little thing it was. Given that it was a heavy metal festival, I was expecting a "last hurrah" kind of gig and was all pumped up for an hour of hardcore moshing and violence. Imagine my surprise when the several-minute-long piano and ambients track Something I Can Never Have showed up fourth in the setlist, instead of its usual place as a concert coda.

And then followed many more low key and introspective numbers, as parts of the crowd (no doubt the Metallica fans) grew more and more impatient. Fortunately the kick in the nuts that is The Downward Sprial put an end to the less-polite catcalls, while audience favourite Hurt appropriately closed the show to raucous applause.

Trent actually commented on this in the NIN.com forums:
We played a purposely quiet, intimate set. I figured it would either enrage or baffle the metal audience... but to our amazement it went over great!
Really fun set to play in that environment.
What a trickster! Personally, as a life-long and moderate-to-highly obsessed fan, I'm sorry to say that I was a little underwhelmed by this swansong setlist. Certainly the NIN.com forums disagree with me, so I'm glad everyone else felt the magic. I certainly had the wrong expectations, which didn't help, and the songs - though tailored to fans - just didn't fit the festival's atmosphere.

I've often wondered about Trent's song choices (I guess his favourite NIN songs and mine are very different - Non-Entity? Really!?), but every NIN fan knows that it's fruitless to hope for a specific song. So with that in mind, and given that I totally respect his choice as an artist to decide what says "goodbye" for him, I guess this really was a fitting farewell. I'm curious to know what's going to go down at the final few intimate-scaled US shows yet to come!

No comments: