27 June 2008

Andalucia - Córdoba

Tuesday ctd - Drove to Cordoba. Wrestled with the GPS and ended up driving around the city in ever decreasing circles. Finally found our hotel, tucked away as it was. Went for walkies, saw the ruins of an ancient synagogue, I climbed an orange tree, and apparently suffered some kind of a wound (according to my notes - I think I snagged a bracnh or something...). Orange wasn't very nice, and certainly not for the effort. The climb was fun though.

Anna and I went for some solo walkies - saw lots of gypsies - perched ourselves by the old Roman bridge - saw an Islamic water wheel. Everything was closed, so we spent several hours in a lovely plaza, eating tapas, drinking sangria, and feeding the local cat (who was clearly a mummy cat).


Wednesday - Lots of sightseeing today. Did the Mezquita nice and early. Fascinating mix of Muslim and Christian architecture and art, overlapping each other quite dramatically. Then we went to the small Castel/Alcazar, which had lovely gardens. Then we had lunch at our new favourite place, before dropping into the Archaeological Museum next door.

Then I went for walks by myself, to the Sefardic Museum (pretty samll), and sat in the Mezquita courtyard with my feet in a freezing cold fountain. Bliss!

According to my notes: baths no good - De Torres museum (a local artist) closed - Saw Belles Artes museum -had ice cream - then back to Jeronimo Paez plaza again.



No comments: