16 October 2008

Heather Nova (Shepherd's Bush Empire) 13/10/08



I was priviliged to catch the first gig of Heather Nova's new European tour, to support the release of her new album The Jasmine Flower. I've been a fan since I was about 16 - she was one of the first musicians that I independently discovered, I had her first album on cassette tape, and I snuck out of school one lunchtime to go meet her at a signing in a Queen Street music shop. She played one gig in New Zealand back then, and never again in 12+ years. One of my many-vaunted advantages to living in London - you get to go to these kinds of amazing concerts!

So it was a great night, with an excellent setlist and a talented band. Of course I would have liked to hear more songs, including a couple of personal favourites, but it was a pretty good spread from her many albums, and I had a few emotionally charged moments.


Band:
Heather Nova: vocals, guitar, keyboards
Berit Fridahl: guitar, backing vocals
Bastian Juel: bass, backing vocals
Geoff Dugmore: drums, percussions, Cajón

Setlist:
Ride
Heart And Shoulder
Blood Of Me
Motherland
All I Need
Not Only Human
Heal
Walk this World
Fool For You
Redbird
Beautiful Storm
Maybe Tommorow
I Wanna Be Your Light
London Rain
Island
Like Lovers Do
Winterblue (with lyrics from Don Henley - Boys of summer)

Encore:
Paper Cup (dedicated to Heather's parents, who were in the audience)
Renegade

Second encore:
Every Soldier Is A Mother's Son

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good blogging people! You show excessive talent and taste, you must be a Vista user!