29 August 2008

Dog & Duck

Caught up with our friends Wes (from Anna's work) and Monica, and their firend Huw (apparently the correct spelling) who has just arrived from Aus. I met Lisa in Leicester Square after work, showed her briefly through Chinatown..

...and up to Soho Square, where we all met. From there, a short trip back to one of my favourite pubs, the Dog & Duck, on the corner of Frith and Bateman Streets. I'm sure I've entioned this place previosuly, but George Orwell was a patron, and it gives me great pleasure to sit in the lovely upstairs room, which is named the Orwell Bar.

Anna was keen to go out for a dance after dinner (typical pub fare, there were sausages, pies, pints and Pimms all round), while Lisa and I turned in early. Lisa was keen to try one of the many rickshaws that plague central London, so for £10 we had a ride from Soho all the way to (gasp!) Trafalgar Square.

Still it was good fun, and I have to admit, a lot nicer than walking. We arrived at the Square in time to witness a strange fashion parade down the main steps, with people dressed to represent different suburbs of London - a drag queen in a green chicken suit for Soho, a Hen's party for Leicester Square, goths for Camden, housewives for Clapham etc etc. There's always something happening in this city!

No comments: