06 August 2006

Mr. Lawyer

I have been waiting to start my new job, so I took some temporary paralegal work this week, with one of the UK's big law firms. It's funny, there was a lot I missed about private practice - the fruit basket, the pretty good coffee machine, occasional free sandwiches - but sitting there in a suit and tie summarising contracts as part of an endless due diligence review... well, let's just say the in-house decision was a good call.

Anyway, it was still nice to play 'corporate' for a few days and the building was very flash. (For London that is. Due to the enormous property prices here, there is little additional spending on office overheads. Buddle Findlay is a million times more swanky than Slaughter & May.)

I now start my proper job on Monday, so am very excited. I had a brief meeting with them this week, and it looks like I'll be dropped in the deep end. But there's nothing quite like a challenge. And the promise of a trip to Amsterdam to attend a media expo. :)

Anna and I have been flat-hunting this weekend. Never a lot of fun, at least we are getting out and about and seeing a bit more of the city. We took a bus from Golders Green to Swiss Cottage, and then walked to Queen's Park via Kilburn. Our route took us (momentarily, and at the wrong end from the studio) over Abbey Road. One of the places we looked at has a nest of foxes in the backyard. If we end up living there, perhaps we'll SEE THEM!

Spent the afternoon in Knightsbridge. Anna was very excited about going to Harrod's, but when we got there we found a group of animal rights protestors outside the main entrance. Apparently Harrod's has begun selling real animal furs again. Very sad, and I hope they backtrack on this soon (especially since I found they had WWF brand plush animals for sale). We still went in, but agreed not to buy anything. It's still magnificent, and I felt like I was going back in time when I entered the toy department (I picked up a sweet racing kit here when I was six). What a shame...

Still, not to be defeated, we had a bit of a spree in the neighbouring shops. I bought a pair of jandals from that slapper Kelly Osbourne's shop for £2.40.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hrm, that actually sounds a bit creepy. On an even more off-putting note, one of the protestors was playing a video that was making a noise like the one you describe...