06 May 2006

Sicily Day 5 (Etna - Taormina)

Big morning up Mount Etna! We were told to wear a jacket in case it was cold. We assumed this was just because it might be a bit exposed up there - but ascending Etna is like ascending Ruapehu, only more like Dante's Inferno. Black craggy remains of lava flows, covered in a chilling creeping mist, with patches of grim looking snow here and there. Enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey. Anna and I both got cold ears, but we were able to recover in a mountainside cafe. Anna had a nice hot chocolate, but I made the mistake of ordering Lava del'Etna, some kind of cheap nasty Etna-themed spirit. It is the worst thing I have ever had in my mouth. I think this vicious little beverage would be too much even for Aran! Luckily we stopped on the way down for a honey tasting session.

Avo in Taormina, another teeny town with narrow streets, traffic etc - only this time a little ritzier. Apparently film celebrities stay here, as it is quite picturesque. High mountains on one side, small harbour on the other. And... more ruins. Here we found a Roman theatre upon which a church had been built, partially covering the site. The theatre sticks out the back of the church, and there is also a small square inside the church from which the theatre is visible. Crazy.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Actually, it tastes kind of like medicine, which I'd normally be cool with. However, it is SERIOUSLY fumey. You try and take a shot, but the fumes fill your nose and stuff before you can really slowly. Then it feels nasty in your gut. Aye yi yi, just thinking about it is making me sweat!

There's lots of nice booze here, you'd love it. Just a shame I can't bring anything back with me...